Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

So I finished my PhD, which is great. This isn't say that I don't have a ton of things to do still for school. But this one thing, the most daunting thing, is finished. Somehow this whole process changed my relationship with blogs and social media. Part of it is just being too busy, but I also just don't feel that compelled to read about the lives of others (with a few exceptions) so much as focusing on my own life (for once). This, paired with the coming demise of Google Reader, makes me feel like I'm just honestly not going to be reading as many blogs. Or posting much on my own blog.

This seems like a great opportunity to reclaim personal interactions. To pick up letter writing again. To finally take a stab at making a zine (which I've been wanting to do since I was like 15, which now almost half a lifetime ago for me). To be more narrow, but deeper, in the scope of my interactions with people. (Just for the record, I did not turn my Facebook back on after my defense. I don't need to rub being done in anyone's face. I used to feel like part of the things I did were to prove myself to the people who never liked me/bullied me/competed with me, but I don't even care anymore. If people want to know what's going on with me, they can email me. Or I can email them if I really want to share. FB stays off. I think for good.).

I'm going to keep the blog up I think, although I don't know how regularly I will be posting. Once I have time (will I ever?) to start considering writing a zine finally I do plan to maybe blog a bit about that. And blog about fitness and about veganism maybe.  Some particularly offensive public event that caught my attention. But it won't so much be about my personal thought process and goings on. This doesn't seem like the time or place anymore.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your PhD! Even with the work you still have to do I bet you are just stoked!

    I use Bloglovin' so the Google Reader news hasn't impacted me at all. But I love your approach on reclaiming personal interactions. I've been trying to do that much more and have set limits on my time spent on the web. It's been wonderful. I've been writing more fiction, going outside more and dare I say interacting with people in the flesh. It's a wonderful thing! :)

    I hear ya on Facebook. I deleted my account there a long while back and I got the "but how will I contact you?" response and the "but we'll never be connected." I said, well there's always...you know, email, mail and that handy dandy phone. I have two people I started talking on the phone with now and it's been wonderful. Heck there are Google Hangouts which are awesome because you video chat with people (similar to Skype).

    I recently decided that I'm just going to blog when I want to, so I hear ya on the blogging bit. I tried out doing a schedule of Monday/Wednesday/Friday but recently said to hell with it. I didn't like how it limited me. Sometimes (like lately) I might share a lot sometimes not. Screw consistency. We are human. Humans are not consistent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think blogging when you feel it is really the way to go. People can tell when it's being forced! Most of my favorite blogs are pretty erratic.

      That's awesome that you are writing and getting more! I'm still work work work but I'm hoping to change gears at some point.

      Delete
  2. You gotta do what you gotta do!!! I will stalk you on Instagram. ;) hahaha I would love to hear about veganism from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah! For some reason I find Instagram less objectionable!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Dr. Thessaly! That is super-awesome and very exciting. Carry on doing what you do so well!

    ReplyDelete

HallÄ! Please leave a comment and let's get a conversation started!