Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pre-thanksgiving

Spending today working and at some point heading to the grocery store to get things for Thanksgiving. I can't say that this is my favorite holiday, or even one I ever really look forward to. This year it's more of a distraction than anything else. Hours lost when I could be writing! Still, I intend to make the best of it. The current plan is to make:

Festive Sweet Potato Salad from Vegnews

Dreena Burton's savory chickpea tart

and the PPK frangipane tart (but with only berries this time around). 

Usually my fiance's family is pretty accommodating and there will be at least a few sides that aren't slathered in butter. It's nice to get to share at least a few dishes. I could definitely do without having to pretend that I have the foggiest idea about how American football works.* 

Alright, I suppose I get productive today so I can spend all of tomorrow cooking!

*Note for non US readers. Every year on Thanksgiving there's a be a big American football game on tv that everyone then has to watch if they're not actively cooking or eating at the time. There's even a wikipedia page about it. 

6 comments:

  1. Can I come to your Thanksgiving!? I hate how everyone looks at me when I pass up the Turkey lol and yea, we always watch the game- especially since my sister is married to a football coach...at least I kind of get what's going on now lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be welcome to! Ugh, yes! Although the worst thing is when people try to make awkward small talk about my food or why I'm not eating turkey. I mean, I'm not bringing it up so just let it go!

      Delete
  2. Haha, I just looked up the football game! That will be a big feature at both the places I'll be at tomorrow. I love your picks, the tarte looks delicious. :)
    stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are (apparently) redskins fans, which means (apparently) hate the cowboys so it should be particularly dramatic! Although, am I the only who finds that matchup somewhat tasteless on Thanksgiving!?

      Delete
  3. I'll be on a plane enroute to Barcelona eating vegan sushi . . . just my kind of thanksgiving! But your dishes look yummy. May be part of my Christmas celebration that will be stateside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds fancy! You'll have to tell me about it when you get back.

      Delete

HallÄ! Please leave a comment and let's get a conversation started!